Breast cancer is widely becoming a common disease world wide. Researchers and doctors are striving hard to discover new ways of treatment, early detection and to prevent breast cancer. Also focusing of improving quality of life of survivors and patients.
As of the disease’s prominent nature, it is studied in many medical centers world wide. The active areas of research include:
- Causes of breast cancer
- Minimizing breast cancer risk
- Managing DCIS
- Latest Lab test for breast cancer
- New imaging test for breast cancer
- Treatments of breast cancer
Breast cancer cause
The latest research uncovers the lifestyle factors, habits and inherited genes that increase the risk of breast cancer. Appended below are few examples:
- Many studies are looking at the prime factors and how they effect such as exercise, diet, weight loss or gain at risk.
- The best use of genetic testing BRCA1 and BRCA2 alterations continues at fast pace.
- Researchers are exploring how common gene variations (small variations in genes not as compelling as mutations) can affect breast cancer. Genes when variant have little effect but when taken together they have large impact.
- Possible causes of breast cancer in the environment have also captured the eye of researchers in recent years.
Minimizing Breast Cancer Risk
The women at high risk of having breast cancer, researchers are looking for medicines to lower the risk.
- There are hormone therapy drugs to treat breast cancer and some of them might also help prevent it. Tamoxifen and Raloxifene are two drugs already approved for the treatment but its side effected has restricted to limited use.
- Plenty of other drugs are also being studied for the treatment of breast cancer.
- Some other clinical trials are observing reduction in breast cancer as an unintended effect of drugs used for other reasons.
- Other supplements are also being studied to see if they lower breast cancer risk. They include Omega3, fatty acids, vitamin D and B6.
In DCIS, abnormal cells are on the top layers of cells in the breasts and have not breach and deeper. In different cases studied shows DCIS turns into invasive cancer or at times an area of DCIS contains invasive cancer. In some women’s it does not invade deeper to other organs but just stay within the ducts. Such unpredictable behavior makes it hard to choose the best treatments.
At present researchers are studying the use of computers and statistical methods to estimate the probability of a women’s DCIS becoming invasive cancer.
Latest Lab Test for Breast Cancer
It is observed in many women with breast cancer that cells break down from tumor and circulate in the blood. Such circulating cells break from the tumor can be detected in some sensitive lab test. Also it helps predict whether the breast cancer have spread beyond the breast.
New Imaging Test for Breast Cancer
In this test, a drug called “tracer” is injected in the blood through a vein. The drug attaches to breast cancer cells and is detected by a special camera.
This research is still being studied to see if its is useful in finding the breast cancer.
Treatments for Breast Cancer
- Oncoplastic surgery
This treatment is often used is early stage breast cancer. Some doctors dealing with this problem by combining plastic surgery with cancer surgery techniques. Therefore, it is known as Oncoplastic surgery.
- Therapy Drugs
It is a combination of drugs that specifically target gene changes in cancer cells that helps it grow and spread.
New target therapies are being studied including:
- PARP Inhibitors
- Other targeted drugs
- Anti angiogenesis drugs
When breast cancer is spread, it is often moved to bones. Therefore, drugs reducing this action can help the spread.